Who Am I?

This is a blog about life. In particular, my life. The question is: why would you want to read about that?
If nothing else , maybe you'll see that you're not the only one muddling your way through life.
So please take some comfort from knowing that I too am an idiot.
Come! Muddle your way through life with me, and we'll be stupid together.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Greetings Part II

I'm surprised you made it back, so welcome! And thank you. Given the relative length of the first post, and the fact that our world has an attention span of about a millisecond, I know my first writing was too long. Psst! I'm going to let you in on a little secret: almost all of my posts will be long. So there. Deal with it. And get used to it. What can I say?

By the way - if you haven't already, you might want to read Greetings Part I. I might help this one make a little more sense (duh...).

My posts will likely be longer because I ramble. Since I too have an attention span of about a millisecond, my mind likes to wander here, there, and yonder. As such, so does my writing. I do, however, like to believe that my writing does eventually come back to the point of the post. So don't worry -- I may ramble, but you should be able to understand what the gist of the post will be.

As such, here's the topic of today's post: Greetings part II. If you didn't figure that out, then you can ask yourself if you really deserve to continue reading. But who am I to judge? Keep on if you really want to. Or even if you don't, I don't really care.

So, where was I? I think I left you with an explanation of the blog. So go ahead and call me Weed. I won't mind. My bro's and sis still do, and my nieces and nephews all call me Uncle Weed. The students in youth group at church call me Weed too. Even some of the adults do too. Primarily the ones who are still in the extended adolescence stage of life, but I don't mind. My wife only calls me Weed when she can't get my attention otherwise.

I haven't figured out how to have my boys call me Weed (should it be Daddy Weed?) but I guess just plain Dad will be fine for now. Their friends, however, will be a different matter.

First random tangent: I'm sitting at a cute little coffee shop called Olympia Coffee Roasting Co. Cute, simple, quaint. I ordered a mocha, and asked if they had any caramel.

Nope. But we do have a in-house made vanilla.

Sure, I'll take some of that!

I gotta tell you, I like the fact that they don't have caramel, or a six foot by six foot cascading style wall display of countless different flavors like most coffee shops do. Keep it simple, no complicated decision making required.

Have you ever noticed how many different kinds of bread there is at the grocery store? A person can go into brainiac arrest trying to decide which kind of bread to bring home. Come on guys, can't you keep it simple for us poor pathetic souls who shop at your store? Kind of like Trader Joe's. I like that place too.

Second random tangent (or not so random...maybe it's the point of this post, I'm not sure yet): You'll notice that my blog still has one of the generic Blogger template designs (given that you are reading this before I figure out how to change it. If not, then this post may not make too  much sense. oh, well). Plus, the font is pretty generic too. The problem with it? I used to consider myself somewhat technologically savvy. In my youth I would have said "advanced" instead of "savvy," but, then, in my youth I woulda said I was going to play in the NBA. And no, if you search for my name in the NBA archives, you won't find it.

But apparently I'm not as savvy as I thought I was. Case in point: I still have a generic template look and basic fonts. If I were actually savvy, I would've fixed that before I had posted my first post.

Back to the coffee shop. (See - random...). Store hours: open until 6 pm. Okay - I get it - people generally don't eat coffee (or drink it either...stupid brain!) in the evenings. As such, coffee shops generally aren't open that late. But wouldn't it be cool if they were? I mean, for poor saps like me who struggle to get out of bed each morning just to make it to work at 8 am. Getting up early enough for a cup of Jo outside of the house is not something that is going to happen for me.

I like to go to a coffee shop so I can write. I know - I know, cliche and commercial-ish, right? Common looking man sitting at a tiny table with a steaming mug sitting beside a laptop (or tablet), quietly and calmly tapping away. But give me a break, it's pretty cool. If for no other reason that the distractions are a lot easier to filter out than at home (no offense Honey...but I know you get it. If you could take your art stuff to a coffee shop, you would).

But remember that I mentioned getting up (or failing to do so in a timely manner) to get to work? Well, I do work 8-4:30, and then I go home for dinner and the common, run-of-the-mill try-to-cram-life-into-a-few-short-hours-before-bedtime-with-the-family. As such, if I wanted to go to a coffee shop after the kids go to bed, they are all closed! And the alternative places that are open late? 1) I don't drink alcohol a lot, and 2) you don't see commercials of a guy sitting next to a frothy mug of beer calmly and quietly tapping away at a laptop (or tablet), do you?

Don't get me wrong Mr. Olympia Coffee Roasting Co. owner. Maybe I can carve a bit of time on a Saturday morning to come by for more of yours. (By the way - I have the day off today, that's why I'm here in the am...).

Anyway, I don't think I ever got to what I thought I'd get to in this, my second post. I remember thinking it through last night as my mind wandered from the waking world into the pleasant and intellectually stimulating world of dreams last night (I had some doozies! Maybe I'll open a page about dream recaps. That might be fun!). But those thoughts must have disappeared much like the minute details of said dreams.

Well, as I mentioned before, this is a longer-ish post. I'm not going to apologize though. I think what I meant to write about was what you will find on this blog. Perhaps this post will give you an idea (i.e.: nothing in particular...). But maybe Greetings Part III will tell you. It might start that way, and hopefully it'll end that way too. See you later (hopefully...).

No comments:

Post a Comment